3rd Dirty South Mug Call & Competition
April 7 – May 27
Dirty South Cup Call & Competition – Juror Matt Long
Deadline to enter is February 17, 2017
The 2017 Dirty South Cup Call & Competition is a national, juried exhibition. Up to 125 artists will be chosen to display traditional or non-traditional ceramic mugs at River Oaks Square Arts Center, Alexandria, Louisiana.
- Entry Fee: $25 per artist, up to three entries (credit cards)
- Work may not be larger than 7” x 7” x 7”. Mugs, Cups and Tea Bowls Accepted.
- Open to all artists working in the medium of clay, residing in the United States.
- Functional & Non-functional, traditional and non-traditional pieces accepted
- All work must be for sale. No single work may exceed $350 in value. Artists will pay a 30% commission to the Gallery on all sales.
- Artist responsible for shipping/insurance cost to/from the Gallery. All work must include a Return LABEL for return shipment. Weight Limit 15 lbs. River Oaks is not responsible for any damage during shipment.
- Digital entry only, JPEG format, 5MB maximum. Click here for supported image format.
- River Oaks will be utilizing the CallforEntry.org™, also known as CaFÉ™, an online application and adjudication system for exhibits and more. Go to www.CallforEntry.org to complete your application form.
- River Oaks Square Arts Center reserves the right to photograph exhibited work and use these or the artists digital images for reproduction in both printed and electronic materials for publicity.
- Entry free must be paid at the time of application submission.
Guest Juror: Matt Long
Currently running the Ceramics Department at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), Matt has become well known for his work with soda fired porcelain, work that is fluid in lines and luscious in surface and glaze applications. His work lends a softened sense of the dramatic to porcelain form. As a graduate of the Kansas City Art Institute and obtaining his MFA from Ohio University, he and his work have quickly become recognizable entities on the forefront of the ceramic art world. Possessing a charming sense of humor and kind manner, he has become a popular workshop instructor throughout this country. His work earned him the NCECA emerging artist award in 2000 along with many juried awards and purchases into prestigious permanent collections. He has been featured in every serious ceramic art publication including Ceramics Monthly, Studio Potter, Art and Perception and Clay Times. Matt was the first visiting artist at the Red Lodge Clay Center in October 2006, he headed the construction of their first kiln, designed especially for soda firing.
First Prize $500
Juror’s Choice: 4 awards, $125 each
“Exhibiting Artist” designation: In addition to the monetary award winners, the top 20 artists will be considered for spots as “exhibiting artists” in future invitational shows hosted by ROSAC.
Please complete and submit images to CaFE with credit card payment information.
- Works will be insured for 50% of the stated value from the time of delivery to the end of the exhibition
River Oaks 3rd Annual
Dirty South Cup Call & Competition Calendar
February 17, 2017 – Deadline to enter
March 1, 2017 – Acceptance notification
March 17, 2017 – Delivery of work, no later than 5pm
June 16, 2017 – Return of artwork
Calendar of Events Related to the Exhibition
Exhibition Dates: April 7 – May 27, 2017
April19 & 20, Workshop/Classes with Guest Juror, Matt Long
10 AM – 4 PM $95.00
Class Size Limited (FCFS)
intermediate -advanced level potters with wheel experience
April 21, 2017 Hand-building Workshop With WangLing Chou Stokes
April 21,2017 5-8 p.m. Opening Reception/Award Announcement/Juror Remarks
Matt Long Ceramic Workshop
Wednesday, April 19 & Thursday, April 20
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Mid-day Break for lunch)
$95 per person (Two day class)
Class is Limited – FCFSB
To register, call 318.473.2670
Look for additional ceramic demonstrations during this weeklong mug call event!
November 18, 2016 – January 28, 2017:
5x5x5 Art Show
2D and 3D works accepted.
Open to all media
Original works only.
$15 artist entry fee
River Oaks is posting a national call to artists to participate in our Annual Miniature Exhibition 2016 ~ The 5x5x5 Art Show. This signature, seasonally planned display allows patrons to purchase unique, original works of art for holiday gift giving or as additions to their expanding collections.
5x5x5 Art Show Guidelines
Image size should be no larger than 5×5 or 25 square inches.
Original works only
Open to all media
When matting the matt should be no more then 2″ on top and sides and 3″ on the bottom. Matt must be off-white or white in color
There is no color or material restrictions for framing. Framing should suite the piece and be ready to hang.
Three dimensional work should stay with in the same size range 5″h x 5″w x 5″d – open to all media
Entry artists are allowed to submit 2 pieces but no more than 4
All specs should be followed in order to be included.
River Oaks receives a 30% commission on works sold.
Awards: $300 Best in Show, 3 Merit Awards $100 ea, Honorable Mention
Upon acceptance you will receive an exhibition loan agreement via email. This agreement must accompany shipment. ARTWORK: ALL WORK MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED ON THE BACK WITH TITLE, ARTIST NAME, MEDIUM, PRICE AND YEAR CREATED.
$300 Best in Show
3 Merit Awards $100 ea
Artists are responsible for shipping/insurance cost to/from the Art Center. Please have accepted artwork delivered by 5 pm Friday, November 11. All work must arrive w/ return shipping label. If no return label remitted, the item will remain in River Oak’s Gift Shop following the featured exhibition. Gift shop inventory – 30% commission rate will still apply. Entries will be returned in the same wrapping in which they were received (no peanuts please).